Childrens Dentistry in Evansville, Indiana  •  (812) 479 - 8609     Find us on Facebook Find us on Twitter Read our Blog

Dr. Jeff Hiester
Dr. Jeff Hiester
Meet the Doctor


Emergency Treatment

For urgent dental treatment, you can reach Dr. Jeff at the following phone numbers:
(812) 479-8609

What if my child has a toothache?

Call your pediatric dentist and visit the office promptly. To comfort your child, rinse the mouth with water. Apply a cold compress or ice wrapped in a cloth. Do not put heat or aspirin on the sore area. For temporary pain relief, ibuprofen or acetaminophen is recommended. Contact our office as soon as possible.

What should I do if my child's baby tooth is knocked out?

Contact your pediatric dentist as soon as possible. An office visit may be necessary to determine if there are other injuries present besides the lost baby tooth. Additionally, it is ideal to take an xray of the area to make certain that there are no remaining tooth fragments present in the jaws.

What should I do if my child's permanent tooth is knocked out?

Find the tooth and rinse it gently in cool water. (Do not scrub it or clean it with soap -- use just water!) If possible, replace the tooth in the socket and hold it there with clean gauze or a wash cloth. If you can't put the tooth back in the socket, place the tooth in a clean container with milk, saliva, or water. Get to the pediatric dental office immediately. (Call the emergency number if it's after hours.) The faster you act, the better your chances of saving the tooth.

What if a tooth is chipped or fractured?

Contact your pediatric dentist. Depending on the severity of the fracture, immediate treatment might be indicated to save the tooth, prevent infection and reduce the need for extensive dental treatment. Rinse the mouth with water and apply cold compresses to reduce swelling. If you can find the broken tooth fragment, bring it with you to the dentist.

What about a severe blow to the head or jaw fracture?

Go immediately to the emergency room of your local hospital. A blow to the head can be life threatening. Contact your pediatric dentist after being released from the hospital.

What should I do if my child has a canker sore?

Over-the-counter medications will usually provide temporary relief, but cold and canker sores will usually go away after a couple of days. Use Orabase or Oragel to provide temporary relief. If sores persist, contact our office for an examination.

Can dental injuries be prevented?

Absolutely! Reduce oral injury in sports by wearing mouth guards. When a child begins to participate in recreational activities and organized sports, injuries can occur. A properly fitted mouth guard, or mouth protector, is an important piece of athletic gear that can help protect your child’s smile, and should be used during any activity that could result in a blow to the face or mouth.

Mouth guards help prevent broken teeth, and injuries to the lips, tongue, face or jaw. A properly fitted mouth guard will stay in place while your child is wearing it, making it easy for them to talk and breathe. Ask your pediatric dentist about custom and store-bought mouth protectors.